Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I currently bank online with Citibank and with First Internet Bank of Indiana. I'd strongly recommend First IB for a variety of reasons, they have the best banking application (real time posting) by far plus good rates and excellent customer service.

Out of curiosity, I opened a Wingspan account on 6/25. Their web site said that if I didn't fund it within 15 days they'd close the account. I also received a box of checks and an ATM/Debit card which I activated.

It's now 9/10 and I still haven't funded the acct, but can still access it online. Cust Svc responded to my email questions (about this alleged rule for new accts with $0 balance) by saying that they were giving me more time to fund my acct.

If I were you, I would be very concerned about banking with a company that is only interested in reporting the number of accounts, not the total deposits or number of ACTIVE accounts to the public.

They even recently sent me an entry for a "contest" since I was one of the first 10K customers (I had heard they only had 4K customers) to put $100 in my account. I'm sure I'll be taxed on this at year end, but I think that's a sad way to "activate" new user's accounts.

Guess they have deep pockets for advertising, but I wonder if their systems have problems if they'll be able to afford to correct those problems.

Go with the bank that really does make banking online so easy and effective, First IB. Let Wingspan continue to spend $150 million a year in advertising.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.