Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I decide when to take the RMD based on several factors.

If I don't have specific plans for the money, I'll pull it out early, have taxes withheld and contribute the maximum to my Roth IRA for the previous year. I still have earned income so can contribute to a Roth IRA. Contributions to a traditional IRA are not allowed after age 70 1/2.

If I have specific plans for the money, I'll pull it out when the event happens. Last year it was a new roof and deck. This year it is interior painting and maybe some landscaping. Next year I think it might be some international travel.

Otherwise I take it out in November when the property taxes are due.

I just talked to my money guy yesterday as he thinks I should rebalance my account and we decided that I should take it now as my account has done well since the first of the year and he thinks a correction in the markets is due.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.