Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I decided to open a checking account with BOFI after reading all the high growth metrics and rave reviews from multiple sources across the Fool. I was shocked at how bad the technology and user experience on the site was. Even the cream of the crop websites will have a bad tech day at some point, but it happened multiple times to me and each time it gave the impression that the website had crashed. I'm not talking about logging in at 2 AM to see a message that the site is temporarily unavailable to allow for routine maintenance. I'm talking about some garbled code (ie syntax error) that leaves you thinking the site is amateur hour or that your personal information has perhaps been compromised. It's one thing if Allstate has a less than ideal web design. It's something altogether different if eSurance looks like eBay during the days when it was run by Pierre Omidyar and his 3 friends out of a 1 BR apartment. I found myself trying multiple times to 'feel the love' of this dynamic online bank that I invested in and that was growing deposits 50% and ready to disrupt the big banks. What I actually found was a user experience that couldn't even open a basic checking account without 3 failed attempts and no online troubleshooting or directions on how to resolve.

At this point, since I've already invested in BOFI, I'm left with the following decision: do I assume that the headaches that I faced will be resolved and once the website design is less clunky that growth accelerate (time to buy more), or will this substandard user experience cause the growth to come crashing down as customers go elsewhere with their deposits (time to sell)?

So far, I've done neither and just held the shares that were purchased before this awful initial customer experience.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.