Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I did a significant conversion (traditional IRA to Roth IRA) during the market nosedive of March 2020.
I moved cross-country in July 2020 (state A to state B).

When doing taxes, I divvied up what I earned while in A vs what I earned while in B. I put the conversion into the A category, and paid state taxes on it to A.
Both states have almost identical tax rates, so it made no difference to me who got the state tax payments, but the residency criterion made sense and appeared to be the way both states wanted it done.

In your case, waiting until 2022 will make the arithmetic a little easier. But, the lower the value of your account, the greater percentage of it you can convert while staying under your (self-imposed) federal tax limits. So, assuming your account is in equities, if you feel it dips significantly in December, I’d go ahead and pull the trigger.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.