Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I did a TMV for the AWD Pontiac Vibe on Edmunds. I selected an optionless base model and used a zip code in my region (have no idea where you live). I have to say, if this is a trend for other GM models, things are looking up for the General. The Vibe is selling for pretty darn close to MSRP (at least around here the Vibe is getting on average $24 more than other regions in the country).

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/pontiac/vibe/100536818/optionsresults.html?action=2&tid=edmunds.n.options.ntmv.1.1.Pontiac*

$19.5K drive out for a 2006 AWD Vibe - no options. Mileage is actually - INCREDIBLE. 26 MPG city, 31 MPG highway and that is achieved even with a 4-speed automatic (no manual for the AWD Vibe). I'd have never thunk it in an AWD model. By the way, despite Edmund's claim that they are built at the same factory as the Toyota Matrix that is incorrect. The Toyota Matrix is built in Ontario, Canada at a Toyota plant. The Pontiac Vibe is build in California at a joint GM/Toyota plant. My understanding is the Matrix is built for export in Ontario - capacity they don't have in California (I loathe when trusted resources give out bad information - and Edmunds has been in a major decline IMHO with their site riddled with inaccuracies and wrong info on a number of models).

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/pontiac/vibe/100536818/researchlanding.html

You know - I was curious as I wrote this and for giggles I checked out the Toyota Matrix.

OK Fools - sit down because this is going to be hard to believe.

The Toyota Matrix has a deeper discount on it using TMV than a Pontiac Vibe (cough, cough, gasp, gasp, cough). I know, I know hard to believe. There is a "base" Toyota Matrix, which is a lot more base than a "base" Pontiac Vibe - but this one hits the mark even better. You still get AWD, the 4-speed automatic, the 26/31 MPG, seating for four adults, comfortable, and your short size for your garage.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/toyota/matrix/100579326/optionsresults.html?action=2&tid=edmunds.n.options.ntmv.1.1.Toyota*

$17.5K drive out (in this region). Where the Vibe actually commands a premium the Matrix is sold for less.

Soooooooooooo...

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! THOSE WITH HEART CONDITIONS, PREGNANT WOMEN, OR THOSE WHO HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION THAT CAN RESULT IN SIEZURES SHOULD READ NO FURTHER!

Given all this data and your specific requirements - this car fits all your requirements, and only requires you to compromise on price by $1.5K. I don't think putting another $1.5K on the table (I consider mid-teens to be $13K to $16K) is that big of a stretch given your list of requirements

Milligram46
Yes, I tried to warn you - I just recommended buying a Toyota...
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.