Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I did exactly the same thing last year for two 401ks. You could pay the taxes for the Roth conversion, out of the IRA money, but I wouldn't do the conversion if I had to do it that way because of two things.

1. You will pay a 10% early withdrawal penalty on the money you pull out for taxes.

2. Probably most important, depending on your investment horizen, you take away dollars from your IRA which, after conversion, will grow not only tax deferred but tax free!

If at all possible, get the money together from non-qualified sources to pay the taxes and preserve the benefit of the IRA.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.