Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I did not realize there was a separate certification for Business Analysts comparable to Project Management.

Have you considered getting PMP certified? How would you compare the two? I recently received a Certified Project Management Designation by attending a PMLG bootcamp and was considering taking the PMP exam but maybe this would be more of a differentiator within my organization. What are the work experience requirement?

Hey LKN4SUN!

The CBAP designation is fairly new - about 4 years old or so, but it is catching on pretty quick. The CBAP is administered through the IIBA.

Requirements to sit for the CBAP are as follows:
*7500 hours of BA experience within the last 10 years. This must be 7500 hours of activities that the IIBA specifically categorizes as BA experience. For example, if you were a BA for 5 years (10000 hours of work experience roughly) but spent 50% of your time on QA testing activities, you would not meet the work experience requirement. This is something that some BA's who wear multiple hats have issues with, but on the flipside if your title has been developer or project manager for a long time but you also did lots of BA stuff you can still meet the work experience qualification even if you've never had official job title.
*Experience in 4 out of 6 BA knowledge areas. Knowledge areas are Enterprise Analysis, Requirements Planning and Management, Requirements Elicitation, Requirements Analysis and Documentation, Requirements Communication, and Solution Assessment and Validation.
*References from 2 people who are either internal clients, career supervisors, or certified CBAPs
*21 hours of approved BA training within the last 4 years.

I have thought of sitting for the PMP. I have quite a lot of the qualifications, but I think for the PMP I am on the borderline for work experience and I may need to do more PM training. I hope to get this designation in the next few years.

The PMP is one of those certs that I am sure I could get. Unfortunately, the world is getting saturated with PMPs. It is practically a job requirements in the KC Metro to be a PMP if you want to work as a project manager - but unfortunately there are way way to many idiots walking around with those letters tacked behind their name. I have been told by more than one executive that I am one of the best PMs they have ever worked with, but I have really struggled trying to get even interviews for a full-time PM position without the PMP.

What cert you should go after depends on what your goals are. If you want to work as a Project Mgr, I would get the PMP. It's the gold standard and most larger companies don't look very hard at other certs. If you want to be a BA, then I would get the CBAP or get both.

Long term, I am interested in begin a technical product manager, a manager of large projects, a business process architect, or perhaps an IT director specializing in software developement. Down the road, the PMP would serve me in any of these paths.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.