No. of Recommendations: 0
I did not understand you were not a US resident. That would probably make a difference to me also. I do not have any idea on tax consequences, but could you open an account with a US discount broker? This could lower your expenses, but would probably greatly complicate your tax situation.

The best solution to high expenses is to buy and hold rule maker stocks. Just never sell. But this does not allow regular income except from dividends.

Yes, I do understand that some years I may have less income than other years. I will have my house paid off, and will have both social securtiy benifits and a slightly smaller pension, for a base income of $2,000 per month. My investments will be the icing on the cake, so to speak.

I think that the FF and another 6 to 10 rule makers would be sufficient, but maybe not if your total imcome was dependant on the portfolio. That is a harder question. I have really never considered living 100% off of my investments.

This probably is not real helpjul, but I felt that I should reply to explain my answer. I'm sorry I was as harsh with my answer. Good Luck.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.