Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I did see this on on the 1040A form but when I went to the instructions on that line, then it got very confusing. It seems to me it should be simple enough to just put the amount on this line but the instructions appear to indicate wanting a separate form filed for it but it doesn't say what form.

I don't have a copy of the 1040A instructions, but there's no other form you need to file. Perhaps it was talking about the 1099-R, which you should have received from the IRA custodian, but you don't have to file that form. You're fine as long as you put the amount of the distribution on line 11b.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.