Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I did well enough on my French SAT (even though it was by far my lowest SAT score--in the 600s) to place out of having to take a foreign language in college, but I took a semester or 2 of Italian when I flirted with Art History/European History as a major. I picked up a tad bit of Spanish when we had a small exposure in elementary school and then while watching Sesame Street with the kiddoes.

I could do tourist French & Italian when I visited those countries 3x each plus Quebec--past tense. I'd have to do significant study to travel on my own there again. And my pronunciation was always atrocious--can't come anywhere near the French R. Or a trilled R. Or even the Shakespearean/Oxfordian/great British actors' R, for that matter. I've never been to a Spanish-speaking country, other than the Mission District in San Francisco, which I lived next to for awhile.

ASIDE
Pardon me while I swoon over the voice of Alan Rickman for a moment ;-) It's especially easy to fall into as I'm reading a long and delicious Harry Potter fanfic that focuses on Professor Snape:

Chasing the Sun (60 chapters! I've been reading for days and only up to Ch 23):

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7413926/1/Chasing-The-Sun
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.