Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 56
I didn't know waffle well enough to know that it was a one night stand.

<delurk>

I have played this sentence several times in my head.

As it washes back and forth, back and forth, the cognitive dissonance inherent in this sentence sets up groovy little harmonies with my own mind-boggles, until it forces my lips apart. Mea culpa, I cannot keep my big mouth shut.

I have nothing against one night stands. It's not a moral issue for me. I don't respect you less or more for doing it, any more than I would respect you less or more for preferring grape to strawberry. So far as I'm concerned, two consenting adults should keep it between themselves.

But you haven't, which is why I feel permissioned to ask: How can you sleep with someone you don't know well enough to know whether it's a one night stand, and then be surprised it was only a one night stand? Am I that old?? Are things that different for others, especially younger others?

Before lizmonster and I advanced to the boffing eachothers' brains out as often as possible stage of our relationship, we'd already talked about sex, disease (and the avoiding of it), financial philosophies, past relationships, whether we wanted to be married (not to each other, but in general), whether we wanted children, etc etc. If we'dve just wanted sex one or several times, we'dve gone ahead and known fully what we were in it for. As it was, by the time it came to the horizontal bop, there was really only one question not yet answered, and we had a lot of fun answering it.

You should try it next time, and I mean that in as nice and sincere a way possible. Talk about some of these things beforehand, so that you're not disappointed by them afterwards.

</delurk>

--FY
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.