Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I disagree with all of these responses. Look at line 30 on the 1040. 70% of the health insurance premiums are deductible provided your self-income covers at least the amount deducted.

In my case, I am a consultant and most of my earnings are direct w-2-like earnings with no expenses (expenses are covered by the company that hires me on a short-term basis). Therefore, I deduct 70% of my health insurance expenses. I think this is a new provision since this is the first year I have been able to do it, but it may have been in effect last year and I just missed it. But it hasn't been a deduction for a very long time.

My research on the web and a reading of the IRS instructions etc. made me feel comfortable that this is a deductible expense.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.