Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
I disagree with his fundamental assertion that systematic racism has been effectively eliminated

A good point worthy of deeper discussion.

Mr. Gutmann's definition focuses on the kind of overt racial discrimination that existed prior to the 1960s. As a personal point, I'm old enough to remember my dad taking me to a remodel job he was doing at one of Portland's finer golf courses, that had a sign in the glass door leading into the club house that said....and I remember this vividly...."We do not serve Jewish persons here". THAT IS RACISM. When the POTUS tells the nation we have 'Systemic Racism as a stain on our national soul', he is implicit in indicting all of us as racists that would readily put our symbolic knees on the neck of anyone who doesn't look like us. Biden could have qualified his statement to make it explicit on how this 'racism' existed before most listening to him were alive, and how through continued effort we no long must endure such abhorrent behavior and we must be diligent to see each other as equals, etc, etc, etc., and officer Chauvin is NOT representative of the vast majority, etc, etc....but he didn't. He...or his handlers...are content to leave the 'racist' brand on us.

Now, differentiate this from inherent differences we all have, one to another, and how we might react to that. Like all mammals, we are territorial and clannish. We tend to congregate with those who looks like us and share out beliefs. This is true across all races, both genders and cultures. It is a normal consequence of being human. Our tendency to stereotype and prejudge has always and will always be with us. What overcomes this is to get to know others and they get to know us, treat each other as we wish to be treated and so forth. But this is NOT RACISM.

BruceM
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.