Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I do believe, however, that given a choice between eating pork or dying, there would be very orthodox (perhaps ultra-orthodox) Jews who would choose to die.
I grew up in New York City, surrounded by Jews of varying degrees of orthodoxy, and I am fairly certain, based on childhood experiences, that this would be the case, regardless of what the Torah states.

That's pretty sad, especially since Judaism doesn't really have room for martyrs. But then again, I don't have a lot of patience for *anyone* who is so rigid that they can't allow for situations like the above. I mean, what good is a law handed down by a god who purports to love his people, if it means you have to chose between god's love and death?

Or am I being intolerant? It's a difficult thing for me to imagine that someone would rather die than do something that is acceptable, under the circumstances.

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.