Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I do like it, although the first season was pretty meh. Second season was much better.

Interesting. Why do you think that?

Given that the first season had to set things up, I can't say I found it worse (or better). The first season, IMO, was marked by confusion. People trying to get their bearings in what has become an alien world. While trying to stay alive, of course. A few allow themselves to die, or contemplate suicide, unable to deal with the grinding horror the world has become. Then the second season seems to show them all adapting to the situation, trying to work together (mostly), trying to come up with a plan, and still trying to stay alive. At least one character became sociopathic. By third season we can see the surviving characters have changed in many ways. They've been through a lot, they've lost loved ones. They're harder. They don't hesitate to do what's needed without being squeamish. They do their best to help each other, but vain heroics seem to be mostly gone now.

It's been an interesting evolution to watch. I think because someone loaned us the episodes, and we've been watching them more-or-less straight through for a couple of weeks now, that perhaps this evolution is a little more apparent to me than if I had started watching it two years ago. One character I thought was a solid ally became a borderline sociopath. Another I was sure was going to be trouble has turned out to be a stalwart.

Sometimes I think the graphic-ness is a bit overdone, but at the same time it may help emphasize the hardening of the characters. What used to really make them cringe they now do without a second thought (because hesitation kills).

So I've enjoyed the whole thing, much to my surprise.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.