No. of Recommendations: 1
I do not follow STMP due to my bad experience with them, but my loss there it seems.

However with Arista, all I can say is OMG! Leverage, discipline, kicking the heck out of the competition, on and on and on and on. There are too many points to cover. And i do not even care to at this time.

SHOP, as an example is growing its marketing spend faster than the revenue it is bringing in. Fine, fine, if that is what they need to do. Arista is growing nearly as fast, with what is now said to be 30-32 percent operating margins as their normal, despite hitting 39 percent this quarter, while only spending 10 percent on marketing.

One analyst actually asked if Arista was spending too little on R&D.

Enterprise, which is with the HP partnership, is just starting to take off, exactly as forecast. Router is become a passé term replaced by routing, which Arista is pioneering. 100 gb is rolling out faster than even Arista’s projections, which is bunk, because at least I knew and I am sure they knew, that 100 gb would be bigger than expected. And so it is, and it is just starting.

Even the great Cisco hit a wall at some point. HP, Microsoft, Intel, all of the great tech companies did. Coke, WalMArt, all of the great consumer companies do at some point. Arista wil as well at some point. But yeah, I am comparing Arista to these great behemoths, except in their early prime.

The reason why I do not feel like spending the time going into more of the details that popped out, or watch did not pop out, is because why bother. I am a passive investor, and unlike most other investments where it pays to review the niche details, or trying to rationalize this or that, this is simply the finest company I have ever invested in basically in almost every facet.

I suspect if one had invested in Cisco early enough, one may have made the same statement about Cisco for quite a long while.

As such, I am quite please with my investment. Quite pleased that I moved all my SHOP profits into it, even with the 20 percent tax on the non deferred portion, and quite pleased that a company like Arista makes it easy to be much more passive as an investor.

Perhaps the stock market will be kind tomorrow as it was not today. Not real fussed about it though.

As Rob says, your 30th best idea is not usually a good place to be in. Now back to John Paul Jones and how grateful I am to not have lived in past centuries, and particularly not having to have been crewed on a military vessel of that sort. How did people back then do it? Yikes and we whine today.

Excelsior and what not.

Tinker
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.