Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I do not have an IRS publication to referance this, but in the text I am studying for a state license it states:

"You cannot rollover or exchange a personal or Roth IRA to a 401K retirement plan but you can roll a retirement fund into an IRA."

You may want to consult a tax advisor or your plan administrator, because it apears you have conflicting oppinions.

So might you, because your study guide--or your interpretation of it--is wrong. The creature is a "conduit" IRA, which is a traditional IRA holding only funds rolled in from a qualified plan and earnings on them. Its special feature is that it can be rolled into a qualified plan, if that plan allows. You can read about conduit IRAs in IRS Publications 575 and 590.

Roth IRAs cannot be rolled into qualified plans because a Roth IRA cannot be a conduit IRA. I have no idea what your guide means by a "personal" IRA. There's no such creature in tax law.

Phil Marti
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.