Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I do not think you should be consistent when it is against your interest. If you made a mistake, and realize it was a mistake, why persist in error in the name of consistency? As the famous investor, Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." foolish in his statement was not capitalized. -- JeanDavid

I would usually agree with you 100% on this point. But, if I remember correctly, these portfolios (RB, RM, Fool4, etc.) were put together to test certain stock picking strategies. Additionally, the idea was to hold companies for the long-run, through good cycles and bad cycles, to avoid excessive trading and hot stock chasing. To that end, I say hold it, and lets see what happens. In a way it's almost an academic desire for consistency that makes me think they should keep GPS as an honest test of the RM strategy.

I personlly think that Gap is not that great a company and wonder why it's in the protfolio at all. But that's another issue, which I think TMF don't really want to dig into. It might expose some flaws in their stock picking strategies or cause them to refine what LTBH means and what sell criterea are.

Zarley
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.