Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't believe the employer is benefiting from the move to separately managed portfolios. The plan fiduciaries (usually the employer or others) have an obligation to pick appropriate investment options - and selecting non-mutual fund options is often a good choice (because of the lower expense ratios)for the participants. The employer gains nothing from this - except perhaps satisfaction that they are fulfilling their fiduciary obligations.

The ticker symbol issue is an issue - but Quicken will download data from Hewitt if set up appropriately. I'm not a big fan of their website - a little difficult to drill down to what I want to know - but it is usable - and it is geared towards long-time horizon investors, not "traders" or those with a shorter time horizon.

I keep my former employer's 401(k) there (and have not, nor will I roll it over to an IRA) because I like the funds and their low (institutional) expense ratios - something I can't get in a (retail) IRA....
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.