Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Let me start by saying I never understood the idea of FB, but I really don't get Meta. I just saw the most stoopid commercial during the football game. Does anyone else think that Zuckerberg is just a dweeb?

AC *some things money can't fix*
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
AC *some things money can't fix*

~~~

Yep, ya can't fix stupid! ...the American kids that is. It was discovered that you can "manipulate" the mind with little stupid computers. We are now witness to the effects. It really does scare me where this is going!

In this vein: I was 5, my sister was 4, 1968 or so... dad came home from work, mom was in the kitchen, my sister and I were parked in front of the TV. When dad said "hi kids", we didn't respond... we were so tied up in the TV, we never heard him. Our family was without TV for the next 4 years. Read lots of books and played outside all the time. Those were actually really good years...

ww.memories.pl/truestory/

No. of Recommendations: 2
Read lots of books and played outside all the time.

I had TV but still did those things. I used to be a voracious reader. Now I find it easier to listen to books, but it's not the same. I find I don't retain as much. And I have never been able to read a book from a tablet - I reserve that for news articles and the Fool. I still make time to read, but not as much as I used to. I say 8-12 a year depending on length. There's something about holding a book and turning pages.

AC *thinks the lack of reading is why there are so many stupid people in the world*
AC *thinks the lack of reading is why there are so many stupid people in the world*

~~~

Well stated... yep, Mom (English teacher) was reading to us, before we could. Watership Down was a memorable book I remember hearing her read to us, early on. Shortly after I started reading on my own, I discovered Sci-Fi... O-:/ (...and now you know the rest of the story...)

And I concur... Reading and learning go hand in hand. If you can't read, how can you "learn"?

ww.thinksyoumaybeontosomething.pl

I discovered Sci-Fi...

I heard a news story recently about some people suggesting certain books should be burned. Someone made a reference to Farenheit 451.

AC *wondered how many people would understand*
Someone made a reference to Farenheit 451.

AC *wondered how many people would understand*

~~~

OMG! ...yes, that was an early read for me... and quite eye opening, since I knew about history and book burning, at that time.

ww.thanksforthememories.pl/moviedidnotdothebookjustice/

Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. Farenheit 451 had some predictions that have come to pass... ATMs, flat screen TVs, earbuds, 'digital' family, social isolation, pharmaceuticals.

AC *it's crazy when I think about it*
Bradbury is one of my favorite authors.

~~~

Yes, Bradbury, Wells, Asimov, Heinlein, Verne and of course... Orwell/ECT. I read so much, pre-30/professional life, I can't name/remember them all.

Have you read "History Lesson"? It's an Arthur C Clarke short story. I read it in a book/mix of Sci-Fi short stories 30+ (40?) years ago. Still remember it fondly... Can be read in <3hrs. (spoiler: you'll never look at LoonyToons/Disney/cartoons the same way, ever again)

If you DON'T want to find/read it, here's a link to a short synopsis: http://www.lesekost.de/HHL59Z.htm

ww.synopsisisanOKshortversion.pl/thereadisSOOOmuchbetter/

I have a love-hate relationship with Asimov, but I like the rest of your list. I also read a lot of Tolkien, Le Guin, Orson Scott Card, James Alan Gardner, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Jim Butcher, and Crichton. I also like Michael Connelly's detective novels, Dean Koontz's supernatural fiction, and Agatha Christie's murder mysteries. And that doesn't include the nonfiction I read.

I think I've read some Clarke. Is that the story about the Venusians?

AC *told you I read a lot*
No. of Recommendations: 4
I think I've read some Clarke. Is that the story about the Venusians?

AC *told you I read a lot*

~~~

Yes... (I know, it all becomes (somewhat of) a blur... how many decades later? [DON'T ANSWER THAT!])

BTW, did read a few "Hardy Boys", my sis read "Nancy...". lol ...really, really early days! Mom was "experimenting". New parent and all... so much more to the story...

ww.ahhh.thememories.pl

James Alan Gardner,

~~~

The Rockford Files???

ww.LOL.OMG.pl/itdoesmatchup/

BTW, did read a few "Hardy Boys", my sis read "Nancy...". lol ...really, really early days!

I remember some of those (with a yellow spine IIRC) on a book shelf in the basement. I remember reading a couple of them but moved on to Christie pretty quickly. I also remember the movie Ten Little Indians based on And Then There were None. I also remember playing board games with my Dad when I was little and having an afinity for Clue. I really liked how they adapted it to the screen.

AC *haven't thought about this stuff for years*
He's a more recent scifi writer. Started sometime in the 90s I think.

AC *so that particular series of books was not read when I was young*
Yea, after the Rockford Files ended... what a coincidence. (o;|

ww.onlyreadsascreenthesedays.pl