No. of Recommendations: 2
I don't have any taxes withheld from the distribution. Nor do I have taxes withheld from Social Security or pensions.

I prefer to calculate my annual AGI and make quarterly tax payments using the Electronic Federal Tax Payments System (EFTPS) ...

Or, y'know, just do a mid-December IRA withdrawal for the approximate amount of what your tax will be, or the safe-harbor amount, and have 100% withheld. I've been doing that for the last few years and it's worked out fine.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe I'll stop the withholding from our monthly pension and let that IRA withdrawal be our entire withholding. The first few years after I retired I tried to juggle the withholdings to be close to the taxes owed, but it was always wildly off and a real PITA. Either it would be way too low and I'd have to write a big check, or way too low and I'd get a big refund.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.