Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know anything about infrared light, other than the minimal overview I've just gotten when I looked it up. It certainly seems worth a try, although you say you haven't experienced any benefit yet. I'm assuming you've researched what to buy, and you have a product you can have confidence in.

I do have some other recommendations to try. I would get yourself some Topricin. It's got all sorts of interesting ingredients. I learned of it from an integrative physical therapist, and it is much superior to what I'd been using when the need arose. Topricin helps reduce pain and swelling and speeds healing. I get mine from AllStarHealth.com, which has the best price around.

If you haven't applied ice, I'd do that for 10 minutes or so several times a day.

I wouldn't take the NSAID (unless it's aspirin) any longer than you absolutely have to, because although they reduce the inflammatory signal, they do not resolve inflammation themselves, and they inhibit the body's own anti-inflammatory pathways. Aspirin is the only NSAID that actually initiates production of an anti-inflammatory mediator, and it resembles the ones that our body makes.

I would also either start taking fish oil, or significantly increase your dose for now if you already do. The reason for that is because the EPA and DHA components of fish oil are identical to the anti-inflammatory substrates that the body makes. (My favorite brand is Minami, distributed by Garden of Life. It's made by a supercritical process, so there's no chemical residue and you get a much more concentrated dose in a much smaller softgel than is typical. Again....AllStarHealth.com. I'd get the Maintenance one, and take several a day.

Another supplement to increase significantly is vitamin C. Vitamin C is essential to healing, as it's a critical component in building healthy new tissue. A great product is Mercola's Liposomal C. And if Allstarhealth is out of it, get it directly from Mercola (their Market, I think it is). Same price, free shipping. "Liposomal" means that it's coated so that much less is destroyed as it's metabolized. I would take 2 of them twice a day at least. Actually, there is a way to determine how much C you currently need because of the increased demand caused by your injury--but most people don't like the idea. Start out at several grams, then increase that by 1 gram/day until you have diarrhea. That tells you you've gone a tad too far. So cut back to the previous day's dose and stick with that.

I would also look around for an acupuncturist. That can help enormously to reduce inflammation and pain and speed healing, protect against forming scar tissue.

I hope there is something helpful among all of this! If you try anything, I'd love to know what helps, what doesn't.

=sheila
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.