Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know how you'd calculate the odds of a designer, care to expand on that?

Heh. WAG methodology (wild ass guess.) I haven't watched the video - give me text and I can read it but I have no patience for watching a video argument.

We have countless observations of designers, none of whom have ever been observed tuning the constants.

> Designers tweak and tune variables all the time to accomplish their end goals.

So? The constants aren't considered variables because they've never been observed to vary.

This whole argument is silly. It's like the 'why is there something instead of nothing' nonsense. You cannot answer the question, because any answer would be a something and require re-asking the question. Similary, repeatedly asking 'what is the underlying foundation that explains this brute fact' must end without an answer. Any answer would prompt re-asking the question with the new underlying foundation as the brute fact that needs explanation.

Every designer we have observed cannot change the fundamental constants. Every designer we have observed exists in a framework of laws and fundamental constants that allow for the designer's continued existence. Every design process we've observed is a process of necessity or a process of necessity and chance. So a designer isn't an alternative to chance or necessity - it's just a label for some of the instances where chance and necessity occur. Adding in a designer would add in the designer's framework of laws and fundamental constants that would require re-asking the question, producing an infinite regress.

All of the preceding paragraph, in my opinion, work against the idea that the best explanation for the fundamental constants being what they are instead of other values we can imagine is a designer choosing those constants' values.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.