Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
...I don't know what STHTM is but I can guess...

Scroll up a few posts. ;-) "stuff that happened to me" (or if I used "U" then the plural "us")

For the where question, consciousness comes from the same place as magnetism or gravity, it is a fundamental characteristic of matter.

Evidence? Are you asserting that a lump of iron (matter) is conscious? It appears consciousness is more of an emergent property, not an innate property. As best I understand it (this is not my field). Certainly if this is your opinion, as you implied in your preamble, then you're entitled to it. I have no evidence that matter does not possess consciousness, but neither have I ever seen evidence it does.

To go from probability to specific the probability wave needs to collapse. What does the collapsing? I call that the "will"...

Without getting into the different interpretations (e.g. Copenhagen), which unnecessarily complicates this, let's just keep it general. So what is the "will" that causes a wavefunction to collapse into a specific state? If I run the EPR do I will the spin state (or polarization state, depending on precisely what I'm doing) or is that out of my hands entirely? (hint: we do not know, cannot know, and cannot control which of the two quantum particles assume which of the two states possible to them)
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.