Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't see how anyone who gets a match in their 401k account can reasonably pass on the opportunity. The match is a substantial instant return far better than you can normally expect in the market. Now some people are doubtlessly deceived by the remarkable recent stock performance but you need to realize that years like 2020 will probably not be seen again.

Investing beyond the match is a personal decision and I would consider my tax situation, desire to manage my own investments and the total amount that I want to invest. Most of us should probably be investing more than the IRA limits to have a comfortable future.

For me the limited 401k investment options force the money invested there into a relatively low risk collection of assets. I balance this by investing my other funds fairly aggressively.

I am going through a transition where my company closed down the old 401k plan which allowed me to move those funds to an IRA. I am glad of the opportunity but am still working out how to create an appropriate risk balance while making nearly all of my investment decisions without constraints.

Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.