No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't think I agree with your characterization of 2016. I don't think Trump was perceived as a moderate at all. I think he gave voice to the racist portion of the population, with some overlap with the group that was fed-up with "business as usual" and wanted an "outsider". In terms of campaign talk, he harped on border security with overlap into jobs (even though they are almost completely unrelated...undocumented workers are not taking coal miner jobs from folks in West Virginia), and also promised "better healthcare for less money".

They thing to learn here is "jobs" and "healthcare". I don't see either as radically progressive topics. I think the Dems did learn that in 2018, so they took the House, and if they carry forward to 2020 they might have a chance without a recession. With a recession, and that campaign talk, they almost certainly will win. Recessions are bad for incumbents.

Biden is "business as usual", and will not appeal, IMO. Minority voters certainly aren't going to come out for him. You would have to have a recession for him to beat Trump.

1poorguy
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.