Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't think my 401K has Roth option- that said I'm hearing that upon retirement independent of my taxable income level I can selectively convert all of my after tax 401 contributions to a Roth and either leave the balance of my 401K (pretax savings) alone or convert to a traditional IRA is this essentially correct? Or is my ability to do this dependent upon the specific plan rules for my company's 401K?

I would be surprised if your 401(k) plan allowed after tax contributions without having a Roth option, but I suppose it's possible.

If you are allowed to make after tax contributions, yes, when you leave the company (either through retirement or just by leaving your job), you should be able to convert the after tax contributions to a Roth IRA. Whether you can do so without also moving the rest of your 401(k) money to IRAs is dependent on your plan's rules.

I would suggest reading your Summary Plan Description (SPD) and contacting your plan administrator's customer service.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.