Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't want to leave the property to both of them, where they have to agree on everything from ... realtor selection to evaluation of offers.

Oh, I see you're already planning for the house to be sold. Yep, just one POA/Trustee/Executor, with the other as back-up, is cleanest.

I asked all my siblings to go through Dad's house and take whatever they wanted to keep/sell/donate, before I started prepping it for sale. They came and took very little, leaving the bulk of the clean-up to me. Just as well. I didn't actually need their help (although it would've been nice), I just needed them to have their chance so that later they wouldn't complain about whatever I did.

There are 1000's of decisions to make: what to keep vs sell vs donate, what repairs and/or improvements to make vs what to just disclose, which contractors to do the work, what to DIY vs delegate, what light fixture to replace the rusty one, what color paint, what type of carpet, which stager, which Realtor, which offer,...
The odds of any two people agreeing on everything are zero, even if they normally get along.

So it's great you're planning to minimize conflict in that regard, but I don't think "no joint ownership of anything" is the best solution.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.