Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't agree on the total cost of the job being the same between the independent and the dealer. Any time I have called a dealer and asked the estimate on a particular job, it is usually twice the cost of a reputable independent.

Working for a manufacturer as a dealer rep, I have access to much more information and research on mechanical repair pricing than you will likely ever see as a consumer.

That doesn't make your observation invalid, just anecdotal.

I have access to four Chyrsler/Dodge dealerships here and every time I've called about repairs to our previously owned Voyager and currently owned Durango these past seven years, they've always quoted at least twice what my local mechanic/s* quotes.

The only time I deal with a dealership these days is when I can't buy parts through NAPA or junkyard. My mechanic, *or whomever he recs, get all my repair business.

ßillƒ
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.