Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't know about Travel Writing but my top 3 books to help you get going writing are:

1). King's "On Writing"
2). LaMott's "Bird by Bird" (someone told me it is being marketed as "Word by Word" now but I doubt it).
3). "Turning Life into Fiction: Finding Character, Plot, Setting and Other Elements of Novel and Short Story Writing in the Everyday World"
by Robin Hemley

That last one is a great book that describes the relationship between taking notes on life and twisting it into fiction. I think he may have some exercises in there. King has an exercise in his book and he invites you to send him your story with a promise that if he has time and if he feels like it he will respond back. Has anyone tried that?

I must say that the one constant in all of these books is the message that if you want to write, you need to be committed to writing. You need to pick a time of day and length of time and devote that chunk to writing.

Good luck!
MPF
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.