Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I don't know any classes you can take in a university to improve your investing skills.  I know I read an article a while back and they said some of the best stock pickers were music majors and so for a while the investment fund companies were hiring a lot of music majors to run their stock funds, though the article never explained why this was true.  I have heard they have backed away from this practice a while back and started hiring finance and accounting majors because if they got sued for fund underperformance it looked better in court if your stock picker was a math, accounting or finance major instead of a music major.

The Morningstar website has a series of articles, (or at least they used to, I haven't checked for it in a while), that was under the category of Morningstar University that explained pretty much all about the market, stocks, mutual funds and diversification, with a short test, (about 5 questions), at the end of each article, (each about 2 screenfulls long).  I learned a lot reading all the stuff in Morningstar University but never got college credit for it.  It did help me in real life make real money though, so I think it was time well spent.  Good luck in your schooling, career and investing.

Craig 

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.