Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 14
I don't know anything about Stocks 2006, but I want to comment on one thing:

Hopefully I would have enabled Stop-Limits to get out of the loosers long before they hit double-digit losses.

By this I would assume you would have set a stop limit, or maybe actually a stop loss, at 10%, right?

If you had done that, you would have been stopped out of quite a few of these stocks that went on to make good gains. I am interested in this topic, so I took the 11 stocks listed and assumed they were bought on 12/15/2005, and I "set" a 10% stop loss. Note that MRN's prices do not correspond with the prices you gave, so something is wrong, either the ticker or the prices. The results would be:

Stock DecAvg OctAvg Stopped? gain/(loss)
Symbol price price percentage
===============================================
AEOS $22 $46 No 110%
MRN $11 $17 May $4.50 ?????? This must be the wrong symbol
BRLGX $12.25 $12.50 July $11.16 (10%)
BAM $32 $44 No 44%
HOG $52 $68 June $48 (10%)
HW $36 $26 May $31.95 (10%)
MKL $315 $400 No 27%
OSI $40 $33 May $37 (10%)
PTEN $34 $23 Feb $30.25 (10%)
UNFI $27 $34 No 25%
URBN $26 $19 Mar $23.86 (10%)

Result: without stop loss, average return is 13.3% (ignoring MRN).
With stop loss, average return is 14.6%. Not much of a difference, and you'd have forgone a few pretty substantial gains.

Stop loss is not by any means a cure-all strategy. There are substantial risks in using them -- in addition to potentially not helping your returns, they can also be difficult to get executed when a stock is dropping. If using a stop limit, the stock could fall faster than execution can keep up and your limit never executes. If using a stop loss, you could end up finally selling at a lower price than the stop loss. Depending on liquidity and price mismatches, these could be small or large effects.

-Mike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.