No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't like to disagree with TMFPixy but I understood pshaffer at 48 to be talking about pre-59 1/2. I thought that once you chose your payout amount there could be no change in that amount until 59 1/2 no matter how much your portfilio grows with the exception of maybe cost of living. Unless the rules changed for 72(t) withdrawals the last few weeks and I missed it, the withdrawal percentage and amount has to stay the same till 59 1/2. If not, please let me know how I would change it without penalties and without a visit from the Retirement Police.

Indeed I am speaking of prior to 59.5. Like now.

From what I understand at the moment, it is correct that you have to withdraw a certain amount constantly until 59.5 TO AVOID A PENALTY. It may be worthwhile to take the penalty to get the additional $. I also have a question about the mechanism of this, as it would seem to me that there might be a loophole to allow changes in the event of major changes in the value of the funds, in the event of illness, etc. In my case, I have about 4 funds and I wonder if I can use one at a time. I wonder if I can roll part of one to an IRA, etc. ATTORNEYS ARE WORKING AT THIS TIME! Results will be in soon and I will inform all.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.