Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I don't mean to sound mean-spirited, but that article contains not a single verifiable fact that supports any of its conclusions. Take this, for example:

He pegs user annualized growth at 29% over the next 10 years, yet marketplace revenue is targeted to climb at a mere 22% pace. In other words, Hanson believes that folks will be spending less -- and a lot less once you begin to bake in 10 years of consumer price inflation. I don't buy it.

The 2009 ASP on the MercadoLibre platform was a little more than $90/item ($2.7b GMV/29.5m items sold). EBay's 2009 ASP in the was about $50/item ($25.7b GMV/@500mm items sold) based on my estimates for the division. This is a function of the fact that people in lower income brackets have more access to the Internet in the US v. LatAm and because Ebay is more of a mature broad market and auction platform while MELI does a lot of big ticket sales (cars) and fixed-price sales.

But if you're going to assume massive traffic expansion downmarket in LatAm (remember the rich are already online), you have to assume ASPs decline. I mean, to do otherwise just makes no sense. Now, if you can make a case that ASPs should go up as the market expands, I'll listen, bu "I don't buyt it" is not by an measure a "case."

Tim
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.