Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 35
I don't mind the fact that you've totally missed the point about health care but I refuse to allow you to revise history

1 The S&L crisis was caused by crooked and incompent bankers in league with the inept Reagan administration. Reagan removed the watchful eye of the banking regulators and the American people were stolen blind.

2 There is no "Social Security Crisis". There is the crisis of gutless Pols refus9ing to raise income or other taxes to support illegal wars, and pork barrel military spending. Social Security is in a huge surplus which is stolen for other purposes.

All this is a series of attempts to correct one stupid policy in the 1940's - controls on wages. Had the controls never been placed, the actual cost of hiring an employee would have been lower, and we would not have this mess we have now.

Those controls ushered in the most prosperous and fair era in US economic history. Or maybe you'd prefer th inequalities that existed in the Depression. The Depression being the exclamation point on the free markets of the 20's.

I have no doubt prices can be lowered in a free medical market. Millions would be excluded from the pricier, albeit life saving, medical treatments available now. But for thoose who could still afford tripple bypass surgery or kidney dialysis, the prices would undoubtedlt be lower. Those that couldn't can do the proper thing and die.

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.