Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 75
...for the Feste Award.

Instead, I offer another suggestion.

There have been complaints about weak the name "Feste" award is. Like many others, I also immediately thought of "Festivus" from Seinfeld.

I submit the suggestion that the award itself be renamed in honor of Jim. Something like the James A. Boa Fool of the Year. Unwieldy, yes; hopefully a wordsmith can come up with something a little more elegant.

I could link to lots of his posts, but I hope that anyone who is on the committee at TMF is aware of the impact Jim made here.

Just my two cents.

--Pup
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 14
I submit the suggestion that the award itself be renamed in honor of Jim. Something like the James A. Boa Fool of the Year. Unwieldy, yes; hopefully a wordsmith can come up with something a little more elegant.

How about we name it the James A. Boa Award but call it the "Elvis." Jim would approve, I'm sure; and it ties in nicely with that smiling jester I see in the corner of my screen.

I still stand by my nomination of Jim, tho'.

ccsmith
No. of Recommendations: 2
There have been complaints about weak the name "Feste" award is. Like many others, I also immediately thought of "Festivus" from Seinfeld.

I never watched Seinfeld so I have no idea what you're talking about there, but perhaps "Yorick" would be a more recognizable name for folks. :-)

Altho the JABoa Memorial Award is cool, too.

Kaiti
No. of Recommendations: 9
WonderPup, terrific idea. Being the undereducated college flunky that I am, I don't even know who "Feste" is; I thought the name had something to do with Uncle Fester from the old Addams Family TV series.

Though I already rec'd the post to nominate him as the first Fool of the Year, but this idea is even better. I never really knew JABoa well, but admired his posts greatly. He is quite worthy of the distinguished honor. If this idea is supported enough internally, I hope somebody will be able to contact his family and let them know our intentions on TMF; it might be a nice idea as well if his family will allow us to use his name in this regard, too.

Even though I know that virtually everybody who's been on these boards know him, I'd like to post here for easy reference (and with newbies to the boards who may not know him) two memorials written in his memory after his passing earlier this year. One is by TMFAruba, and one is by yourself.

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=14990559
Author: TMF2Aruba
Consumer Credit / Credit Card Board Number: of 71415
Subject: "In Memory of JABoa"
Date: 5/17/01 9:44 PM

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15015155
Author: WonderPup
Living Below Your Means Board Number: 145505
Subject: "LBYM pariahs revisited: The Harpsichord"
Date: 5/22/01 12:16 AM

A side note: I'm told that his name, "Boa" means "good" in Portuguese.

G-d bless Jim,
$IQ
No. of Recommendations: 3
How about we name it the James A. Boa Award but call it the "Elvis."

I like that. Or even 'Elvis on Mars'. But I don't see why he can't win the award AND have it named for him. Is that against protocol?

Patti (missing Jim)
No. of Recommendations: 1
But I don't see why he can't win the award AND have it named for him. Is that against protocol?

Neither do I. Subsume, subsume.

ccsmith
No. of Recommendations: 12
Wonderpup, I love your suggestion. Jim is the first person I thought of when I first heard about the Fool of the Year award.

I submit the suggestion that the award itself be renamed in honor of Jim.
Something like the James A. Boa Fool of the Year. Unwieldy, yes; hopefully a wordsmith can come up with something a little more elegant.

Without his family's approval, I'd hesitate to see his full name used in this manner, but re-naming this award to "The Elvis" is perfect for two reasons:

1. TMF has always referred to the smiling jester icon as Elvis, both internally and externally.

2. Jim's original screen name (from the old AOL days) was ElvisBoa.

No disrespect meant to Bogey, but "Feste" is just too obscure. Elvis makes an immediate connection to both the Fool and our good friend Jim.

Just my 2c,

Jeanie
No. of Recommendations: 3
Without his family's approval, I'd hesitate to see his full name used in this manner, but re-naming this award to "The Elvis" is perfect for two reasons:

I agree with both concepts: asking his family for permission is obvious. Naming it the Elvis on Mars award bring it even closer to his persona.

--Pup