Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 7
I don't pretend to be a stock maven, just someone with more life and investing experience than most on this board. I've made money in the markets, I've lost my share, too. But I have tried to learn from my mistakes. My investing secrets are no secrets, more like common sense. When someone touts a stock with no capital, no profits, and questionable assets (DLKM) I mark him/her down as a charlatan. When I find a company with great management, terrific products, and strong growth (AAPL) I take the elastic band off my wallet. Lastly, I seldom believe what I read in the newspapers or hear on TV. Columnists and commentators have space/time to fill and generally have no competency in the subject under consideration. Case in point: the so-called "housing bust." The fact that sales volume is down doesn't translate into a "bust." It's housing prices that count. And the median price of a home across America either rose or remained flat in 2006. There was no bust nor will there be as long as unemployment and interest rates remain low.

For those of you who wonder about my results in 2006 I refer you to posts #171913 and #194755. Both AAPL (up 18%) and VRSN (up 10%) did well. And if you bought AAPL after July 1 (which I did...again) you did very well. I've been bullish on housing my entire life...and remain so. In my opinion, buying a house continues to be the best investment the average person will ever make provided he/she plans to remain in the house for at least 5 years. Post #197576 provides an up-to-date summary of housing prices in the most active markets in the U.S. The data is provided by DataQuick, an expert source you can trust.

Andy

Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.