Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I don't quite understand this inclination to think wishfully that the French cannot quite afford what they have.
I'll second this thought. My French cousins, while not second-home owners, are world travelers who live very comfortable bourgeois lives in Cannes. As is the case with my wife and myself, they are professionals---affluent, not rich. Oddly, they complain about their colleagues' vocal resentment of their occasional indulgence, such as their Porsche (purchased used), as not befitting their social station (no kidding here!). They much prefer American attitudes toward consumption, however conspicuous (which is to say most indifferent, unless, of course, by those hypothetical welfare Cadillac owners).

How can anyone enjoy a cup of coffee from a cardboard or styrofoam cup that smells more like sawdust than coffee? I don't get it.
Now, New York is noted for its $4 complete breakfast (and I do mean complete), available at just about any coffee shop before 11:30. But nothing beats the French equivalent--un grand crème avec fiçelle ou croissant--taken in a local café, about 30 ffr in Paris.

Schvitz, about to pump another out of his Pavoni
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.