No. of Recommendations: 1
I don’t think that that’s an accurate representation of the paper.

I unfortunately don't have access to this paper but my representation uses the same terms as an interview of one of the authors, which I posted. https://medicalresearch.com/abuse-and-neglect/do-we-have-fre...

For example, Dubljevic: "...This led Libet to conclude that there is no ‘free will’, but that there is a ‘free won’t’. On the other hand, there were many criticisms of the study – methodological or substantive."

And perhaps most compelling "...Opposed to claims of replication, we found substantial variation between studies in terms of experimental set up and results. In cases where experiments were explicitly conducted to replicate other experiments (Libet’s and others), most were unable to produce similar results. Most notably, published original research articles that actually did compare RP or LRP to W often found conflicting results..." If replication is a problem with Libet-type studies then there isn't much one can conclude from the observations.

You stated that free will could be described as “nonrandom indeterminacy.” I’m not completely sure what that means.

Free will requires choices, i.e., different outcomes. For the same starting conditions to give rise to different outcomes requires indeterminacy. Indeterminacy in the quantum world is random. If there is free will, then it reflects an indeterminacy that is different from quantum randomness. I call that nonrandom indeterminacy. This is in principle testable. In principle one can test whether the same starting conditions can give rise to different outcomes. One can further, in principle, test whether the frequency of the outcomes is consistent with quantum randomness.

If it isn't, then that choice cannot be fully explained by determinism or randomness. I assume that free will will exhibit that characteristic.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.