Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0

I don't think the world worries as much anymore about the Shanghai index, if I got my indexes straight, and this deflation is just what the Chinese government wanted when they raised the transaction tax on stock purchases on the Shanghai stock market.  If the Hang Seng index dropped by 25%, then the world would panic.  As I understand it, the Shanghai index is an internal index, invested in mostly by Chinese citizens and has way too much money chasing way too few stocks.  I don't believe that too many non-Chinese are invested in the Shanghai index, so the impact on the world should be fairly minimal.  If you look at the ADR's of CEO, BIDU or ACH you will see they haven't dropped much recently, and these should be big players in the Shanghai index.  If it only hurts Chinese citizens, then that limits the effects on the rest of the world.  The Chinese are not a big consumer society in the sense of personal goods, (which is why they have huge trade surpluses and huge foreign reserves), so while this is painful for Chinese consumers, I don't think it will hurt companies such as Boeing, BP or Toyota, so realistically should have minimal effect on world markets.  Just my opinion.

Craig

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.