Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I don't think they can win. I think the owners are literally going for broke. If they pull it off getting the green light to start the season with replacement players from the courts..... they aren't backing down. Hockey is a side hobby for most owners. They can absorb the losses over a time. What they are putting their foot down on.... is their teams being a perpetual money pit. I think they will shut it down if the players don't come around and they lose money in a big way for a season or two.

So, in my opinion (and if in their shoes I would) they will go all the way to blow up the current reality that their teams are money losers year in and year out. The fact they can weather the storm and absorb the losses means they hold the cards. They are smart enough to know that. Keith Tkachuk will be missing his paychecks far sooner than the owners will. Further, Keith Tkachuk is not a charity case... his pay should represent an investment in profitable production. The owners understand that sort of thing about businesses.

Personally, I think it will take watching "scabs" play next season for the players to get it. But, I think they will.... and I think their paychecks will be lower than they would have if they wouldn't have dug their heels in demanding to drink from a dry well. And if so.... GOOD!!!!
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.