Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't think you can contribute to a former employer's 401k plan. Contributions to these plans are by payroll withholding only usually with pre-tax salary.
If the 401k were put into a rollover IRA, then contibutions could be made assuming you met all qualifications. I believe that setting up the IRA and making the transfer will typically take 2-4 weeks.
Regardless of what you decide to do with the 401k you might look into setting up and contribution to a seperate Roth IRA

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.