Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't use one myself, but this sounds like a situation where an independent certified financial planner (not one who sells insurance or securities) might help set up a plan for your mother's monies.

Then you could come back to the board and bounce the suggested plan off the experience of other retirees to get their opinions. There's a lot of expertise on this board, and people are especially willing to help beginners get started managing their money.

As for shared housing with your sister, I strongly advise against it. Your mother could be very close by, but not under the same roof ideally.

Last spring, after serious orthopedic surgery, I spent two weeks recovering with our daughter's family. They were wonderful and completely wanted me there, but I went home as soon as possible so they could have their privacy back.

You've come to the right board. I wish your family the best as you work through this transition in your lives. DH and I have found ourselves in your shoes twice in the past.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.