Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
I don't usually post anything here, just read the posts. But I'm going to jump in with both feet and give you some interim advice.

I'm guessing that you're getting 1 or 2 percent for all that money in a simple money order account. How about taking $100,000 and putting it in a 6 month or 1 year CD at ~5%. Perhaps you could do that 13 times. The money will be safe and you'll have time to think and learn. With the amount of money you have the difference between 2% and 5% will be significant.

I understand that you have no risk tolerance as I have very little, but I've found that information is a great enabler. The folks here -- very kind, generous and knowledgable they are -- recommend a number of books on investing. I'd suggest you go back through the posts and get ONE (no more than one) of these books (from the library) -- more than that will be overwhelming. After that you might want to read a second book.

I've done very well at Vanguard and over time I've taken some risks with a "bunch of money" and I've done pretty well. Sometimes I take $10 or $20,000 and put it into something "risky" and once I have a good return (i.e., when my money doubles) I take out my original investment and put it that amount back into something conservative and very safe. If anything goes down 10% (in some cases) or 20% (in other cases), I plan to jump, but I haven't had to do that yet.

I believe that when you're stumped it's important to take some measured and safe action. Then all the other actions become easier.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.