Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I drew the short straw and got made the HOA treasurer. The HOA itself is tiny does not do much over the course of a year. (Just pay for some snow plowing, insurance and gardening.) The dues and the expenses just about match over the course of the year.

I know that it has to file a tax return of some flavor, but not much about it.

Any pointers to the IRS pubs that cover this? Going to a professional for the actual return is certainly a possibility, but I need to know some background.

Congratulations on your selection, and more importantly, on having the foresight to ask for advice now and not when things get urgent. Most HOAs file Form 1120-H, US Income Tax Return for Homeowners Associations, though there are a few which qualify as 501(c)4 or 501(c)7 organizations and file a Form 990 series return. You can find information about this at the IRS website. There are also some professionals who provide advice to HOAs. I can't vouch for the quality of any of them.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.