Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I ended up applying for the card. If it turns out to be a PITA, I can always cancel it.

They printed a new Sam's membership card for me that I can use as the credit card as Sam's; the actual card hasn't come in the mail yet.

I was amused by the form letter I got from Synchrony Bank today. It reads, in part:

"When you were approved, we did not assign to your account the best interest rate we offer. By law, we are required to provide you the information in the attached letter explaining that a credit score was used to review your application."

It goes on to give my credit score, per Transunion, as 803 on July 20. That matches the 803 as of July 14 reported on my last Discover statement as a FICO score, though the Synchrony letter doesn't specifically call it FICO. Key factors that adversely affected my score are given as:

1) Lack of recent installment loan information (no surprise there)
2) Number of accounts with balances (Doesn't say whether I have too many or too few. Credit cards I use will look like they have balances on the credit statement, even though I pay the bill in full each month.)

So . . . with a FICO of 803 on a scale of 350 to 850, I didn't get the best interest rate Synchrony offers. I wonder what would be required to get their best rate? I cynically think they aren't giving the best rate to anyone getting the Sam's Club card.

Of course, the interest rate doesn't matter. The cash back and grace period are what matter. I was just amused that I got this letter notifying me that I didn't get the best interest rate, and it doesn't even say what interest rate they gave me. (It does say that complete terms will come with the actual card.)

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.