Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I exercised an unqualified stock option during Jan 2000. I had to pay Short Term capital gains rate on the difference between the option price and the stock price on the date of exercise. I still hold the stock today. How do I account for the Federal Taxes paid on that transaction in this years tax filing? Can I apply the tax withheld on that transaction to the total Fed Taxes withheld on the W2 for regular income so that I can recover some of the withholding? Is there some form (1099, W2, 1098, etc, etc) that I should receive to show that withholding???

Assuming that these options were for stock of your employer, the following should have happened.

1 The dfference between option price and FMV on day of exercise should be included in your W-2 as additional compensation; this is taxed as ordinary income.

2 The income tax withheld should be included on the W-2

If your W-2 doesn't reflect these items, go talk with your employer and get it fixed.

And yes, any tax withheld is applied to your tax liability when fillng your 1040
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.