Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I expect married filing separately will cost me a few thousand dollars, so I'd prefer joint if I could.

File for an extension and show her what it'll cost her?
You have until Oct. to file with an extension...
(still would need to pay any taxes due now, but if she's likely to change her mind, that'd give you some time.)

Of course I don't think that I'd want to file joint with someone who's refusing to do it... Do they have income they aren't telling you? Income from a savings account that they don't want to show you?
Something worse?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.