Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I feel for your agony - any id theft is such a hassle - no matter how little or huge of amount. It tends to make you very cynical and untrusting anytime and anywhere. Imagine using your card at the same places all the time. The staff knows you very well - in restaurants you even tip them well (especially during the holidays). Someone just used by boyfriends card NUMBER...over the phone to make a purchase in a "mom & pop" shop in the next county and that has nothing to do with anything in our lives. Makes us wonder who would've taken our card number and used it to purchase over the phone?

We both have id theft plans (which we sell). In the interest of not trying to promote myself or services through TMF, I won't post my website, but I will urge you to look into a program to protect yourself: this is NOT just about your credit cards - it is now about your medical records and your driving and criminal records. Assuming you have no criminal records...imagine getting pulled over for speeding...only to find out "you" have a warrant for your arrest [for something you didn't do in a state you've never been to]; OR trying to get a new health plan and finding out "you" are ineligible due to severe health risks (that no one in your family has heard of) or because "you" didn't pay the plastic surgeon for the major face-lift...try finding that person!

I used to work in internal investigations for a company (I worked closely with 3 different police depts) and my mother used to do security systems for AMEX (that's what caught my eye about your story). AmEx is known for their extensive campaign to keep your info PRIVATE and not sell the lists. This leads me to believe, ESPECIALLY with the repeated incident on a new acct. #, that your incidents may be inside jobs. Inside could be your side or theirs...do you have hired help - at home or work that could gain your card number? I'm assuming not the 2nd time around which leads to a good possibility that AmEx may have a bad seed in one of their departments.

Be patient (and persistent) and keep your mind open for all the possibilities. It stinks all the way around, but it will get resolved.

Again, feel free to contact me if you need any info about id theft protection. There are many programs to choose from (beside what I sell). Some are free some cost too much and are redundant. Shop wisely.

Best of luck,
Elana
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.