No. of Recommendations: 6
I feel stuck! Can't sell the house, can't keep up with the house. I am sure I'm giving myself ulsers! I'm very stressed not knowing if we should keep up the effort for the next 2 1/2 years, when we would be able to refinance, or file BK and move to a rental and start all over again. I feel like I am getting too old to start all over again...(40)

I am so sorry, it sounds like you're really in a tough spot. (Don't worry so much about your kids though, it is too bad that your 4 year old can't play on the street but the wonderful thing about little kids is that they don't miss what they don't have! Not like us grown-ups!)

Have you run the numbers on just what selling the house would mean? If its value has appreciated as much as your husband thinks, maybe you could at least break even on the closing/selling costs. If the house is making you miserable AND draining your budget every single month, it might be worth a cash loss (if you can swing it) to get out & into a smaller house. If not today, then maybe in 6 mos to a year.

Don't beat yourself up. I think people have only sounded kind of tough on this thread because many thought you were looking at buying a too expensive house rather than already suffering the consequences of buying one. We all know what it's like to have to live with the consquences of bad decisions, it's why most of us are here!!

When one person is drowning in a pond, for some reason it is hard for that person to grasp that someone else can be drowning in an ocean. :-) Your grocery/gas/entertainment allotment is a whole biweekly paycheck for me, but that's really irrelevant. Lots of people live on less than half of what I make and I can't imagine cutting my expenses back that far without compromising my standard of living past what I can stand -- it is all in what you're used to. Like dieting, it's hard to eat less no matter what you weigh to start with.

Never mind yesterday's choices. Start examining every single choice you make today, every single day, & ask whether what you get out of each choice is worth what you paid for it. (The book Your Money or Your Life is wonderful on this subject -- check it out.)

Hang on & keep posting as many details as you can bear. We will try to help & not scold about the utility bill. (But what DO you manage to spend $581 on?? Enquiring minds want to know!)

Welcome to the Fool & keep your eyes on the "future" part of your handle!!

Tanaquil

Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.